Nadir Afonso is one of the most prominent artists in Portuguese Art of 20th Century. He was born in Chaves in 1920 and died in 2013.
To know more
Graduated in Architecture at the Superior School of Fine Arts of Porto.
In 1946, he entered the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris to study painting, having returned to Porto to finish the Architecture course. In 1951 he was collaborator of the architect Le Corbusier, a function that he had already played between 1946 and 1948, while at the same time he used Fernand Léger’s atelier to work in painting. From 1952 to 1954, he worked in Brazil with the architect Óscar Niemeyer. That year, he returned to Paris, taking up contact with the artists and developing studies on painting that he calls “Espacillimité”. In 1958 he exhibited in the Salon des Réalités Nouvelles, the work “espacillimités”, animated by movement. In 1965, Nadir Afonso definitively abandoned the architecture, dedicating himself exclusively to painting. In 1967 he was National Prize of Painting and in 1969 Prize Amadeo de Sousa-Cardoso. In 1984 he was awarded the rank of Officer and Grand Officer of the Military Order Santiago de Espada.
He is represented in Museums in the city of Lisbon, Porto, Amarante, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Budapest, Berlin, Paris, Rome etc.
In January 2009 was presented in Chaves the project authored by Siza Vieira from the headquarters of the Nadir Afonso Foundation.
On November 5, 2013 he was conferred by the Faculty of Fine Arts of the University of Porto Honoris Causa Doctorate.